Monday 23 September 2013

Cochin,queen of the backwaters.

Very busy first day,I was adopted by the young trainee receptionist at my hotel,he and his friend took me on a tour of Fort Cochin,the very old and original part of the city.Actually city is a misnomer as this part of Kerala is multiple islands linked by ferry boats.
So by ferry,Tuk-Tuk and foot we saw the Dutch Palace at Mattancherry,St Francis church,and the Tomb of Vasco de Gama(did a bit of discovering in the area apparently)Santa Cruz Cathedral , Chinese fishing nets and much much more.Had a great if exhausting first day.
Also found that the 40 minute drive from the airport last night is quoted everywhere as a1hour trip,the road toll in this country is over 100000 per year and my cabbie with the delusion that I was a selector for the Red Bull team seemed determined to add us both to that list.Actually they drive like that in the hope you will offer a tip for them to slow down and give you a sporting chance of survival,but everyone else on the road is also trying to kill you,lah,close your eyes and remember just a few minutes ago the AirAsia pilot was also trying out for the Air  Disaster show.
Chinese Fishing nets.
St Francis Church
Tomb of Vasco de  Gama
Santa Cruz Basilica
Grading Ginger

Making a local delicacy
Loved the Chess set
My new friends
And me




No comments:

Post a Comment