Wednesday 2 October 2013

Srinagar

Another full on day left Srinagar in Manzoor's luxury brand new car for Yusmarg valley a drive of 2 hours or so to a lovely wooded valley at 7500 ft into the foothills.There a guide met me and took me on a 3 hour hike further into the country.The last 30 minutes were pretty heavy going,I felt like an old man,of course I could have taken a pony, but I needed the exercise and the horse did not.On the way saw much military activity and created some interest among the troops at one little town we stopped at.This town is very new because the army in a night of madness burned it to the ground 10 years ago in retaliation for losing many troops to local terrorists,one of the buildings was a 500 year old shrine and temple.in this area I saw plenty of fingers on triggers.
It is such a shame because few places are as beautiful as Kashmir,some people even believe  it to be the actual Garden Of Eden on account of the natural beauty,the many fruit laden orchards.the lakes are full of fish saffron is harvested here and the soil is rich.
Finished my day with a Shikara ride on Dal lake for sunset,then home for home cooked Mutton Ghosh,veg curry,marinated saffron cauliflower and rice of course,followed by green tea with saffron and cardamom .Well someone has to do this research...
Oasis guesthouse 
My driver in front of the newly built shrine.
View from 
My mountain guide
Road trip,Kashmiri style

Sunset 2 on Dal Lake
The fort in silhouette at sunset




No comments:

Post a Comment