Tuesday 26 November 2013

Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

My last temple visit at Chiang Rai proved to be something of a shock to the system,known simply as the White Temple and  a work in progress by a local "enfant terrible "modern artist",it is not expected to reach completion until 2070 even with dozens of disciples assisting,it is a very different 'take' on Buddhism and reminded me very much of Gaudi's Sangria de Familia in Barcelona that is to some a licentious folly and to others the product of a brilliant imagination.
 Fast approaching sunset here as I watch the the mighty Mekong rushing downstream just 60 or70 meters from my hotel window,I am reminded that the slow boat to Luang Prabang is named as such simply to differentiate it from the speed boat that also plies the same route.Horror stories abound about that alternative,but 50 years ago faced with the choice of the two I may have been tempted.
The White Temple.



Laos,across the Mekong river.


No comments:

Post a Comment