Friday 8 November 2013

Mandalay to Bagan

Blogging this from the good ship Shwe Keinnery,left Mandalay nearly an hour later than the supposed 7am sailing.The boat is half empty this is generally good news when in any vehicle traveling the East,unless of course others know something that I do not.
Currently ploughing up stream at an estimated 8-10 knots,this is good,however we are in thick fog and I mean a pea souper and this is not ,and I imagine the reason we left Mandalay late.There is a man in the bow continually sounding water depth and two others chatting who I think are probably meant to be lookouts.Apparently going aground is fairly common on the Ayerwaddy (local spelling) as there are shallows everywhere.Unfortunately this all indicates a late arrival at Bagan and I have been forewarned of the scramble up the muddy river bank that serves as disembarkation.
Have had my included breakfast of a hard boiled egg and two slices of dry bread,as well as a cup of hot water with which to make powdered tea or coffee,so far have found neither real tea or coffee in Myanmar,and real milk is a distant memory of Australia (Ironic what!).
Update,we have now come to a stop,the fog has cleared enough for me to see we are surrounded by shoals or sandbanks,but I am sure they know what they are doing.I think I now know why this voyage is scheduled to take 11-12 hours though.

No comments:

Post a Comment