Wednesday 6 November 2013

Mandalay

Promptly at 8 am my tour guide,my driver- OK the kid with the motor bike came to collect me for my day of exploration.First stop the Pagoda and market and my introduction to  Myanmar Buddhism in Myanmar a much less solemn affair than Bhutan.Then there was a tour of the handicrafts shop while our bike had its wheel fixed next door.
What happened next seemed rather bizarre to me,but judging from the hundreds of tourists that were there a well established item on the things to see in Mandalay,we visited a huge  monastery,a collection of non-descript buildings similar to an army barracks in appearance,nothing like th imposing 16th century wonders of Bhutan to witness 3000 monks from very young children up to early twenties I would guess, file silently past the Abbot into there mess after holding out their bowls for a serving of rice.It felt to me voyeuristic and an intrusion into  monastic life,but for all I know it may well have financed the rice.
We motored on over the great steel bridge spanning the Irawaddy river to the complex of golden temples and stupa's at the neighboring  Sagaing hill for glorious 360 degree views of Mandalay.Then a ride through country lanes where a small ferry took me over the fast flowing river to the ancient city of Innwa.Transport to and around the architectural ruins of Innwa was by charismatic horse and buggy over heavily rutted and potholed roads of dried mud. Luckily my recent journeys had stood me in good stead for this sort of torture.
The next and last item for today's itinerary,and the most looked forward to was the visit to the U Bein bridge,this is a teak column and plank footbridge spanning well over a kilometer,a busy,well used thoroughfare,slightly daunting at first as there are no handrails and it tends to sway a little,but one quickly gets used to this as there is much to hold ones interest. People fishing,monks and soldiers standing around chatting,multi coloured ducks,artists and handicraft sellers all serve to distract ones attention.
Arriving at the little township of  Amapura  I settled down near the waters edge with a cold beer whilst awaiting sunset and the hoped for photo opportunity.The sunset was wonderful,the return walk over the bridge in semi darkness interesting and the bike ride home exiting,and I get to do it all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment